Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. It’s a fun way to get to know fellow bloggers while simultaneously enjoying the fun of a list! And what’s more, a list about BOOKS! What could be better?
June 12: Top Ten Books I’d Recommend As Good Beach Reads
For beach reads, I tend towards light contemporary reads, with a healthy helping of romance, and that’s pretty much what you’ll find on this list. This is an ugly-cry free zone.
1) This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen- Oh, my first Sarah Dessen novel. I will forever have a crush on Dex. HATE SPINNERBAIT. This one is filled with giggly and swoony moments that make it perfect for the beach!
2) The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares- Okay, I’ll be honest this one made me cry a leetle but NOT BAD. It’s safe, I swear– no ugly crying at the beach. Heart-warming healthy girl friendships. In fact, I recommend this entire series for beach reading. EXCEPT Sisterhood Everlasting. Because that one is fantastic but DEFINITELY involved ugly crying.
3) Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins- Okay. I really… just. Read this book, if you haven’t. Read it ANYWHERE. Including, but not limited to the beach. (I almost did a ridiculous rhyme here a la Dr. Suess: “On the beach, with a peach! Read IT here, read it there, please God, READ IT ANYWHERE”
…OKAY, so I did the rhyme. It was longer before.)
4) The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith- I love this book almost as much as I love Anna. Same comments go. Read it ANYWHERE.
5) Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot- Sweet and funny, a classic Meg Cabot novel
6) Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie- No one does adult romantic comedy like Jennifer Crusie. NO ONE. And Bet Me is my favorite of all her books.
7) Heist Society by Ally Carter- A bit more adventurous than my other recommendations, but BEYOND fun. And contemporary. And a strong female main character. And a swoony boy.
8) The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler- There is a strong nineties nostalgia factor in The Future of Us… I often associate nostalgia with the beach and thus… good beach read.
9) Catching Jordan by Miranda Keneally- Ohhh, this is such a sweet and fantastic book and Jordan is such wonderful character. She’s funny and down to earth and there’s so much outdoorsy-ness through her football practices that it’s perfect to read outside!
10) Match Me if You Can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips- It may be that no one does romantic comedy like Jennifer Crusie, but SEP certainly comes damn close.
What are your Top Ten Beach Reads?